Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Acrylic Scarf


In my early weaving days, I accumulated looms and tools.  I don't know how I did it since I know I did not have a lot of excess cash.  Three looms, the biggie being my 45" Newcomb.  But I also purchased a 25 inch Schacht rigid heddle with a stand which I don't remember using much.  I also scored a $5 loom at a garage sale in Brevard.  It's a 4 harness table loom with a 20 inch weaving width.  The benefit of both of these looms is that they don't waste yarn like the Newcomb does. I easily lose 1 yd to 1 1/4 yds of warp on it due to the distance from the warp beam to the finished cloth and the cloth beam. So I decided to weave a couple of simple projects on the rigid heddle and the table loom to see how they functioned and what I needed to know or have to weave more complex projects,  A two skein scarf was a good project for each loom.

Date Finished January 2012
Loom  Table Loom
Weave Structure  plain
Reed  10 epi
Warp     Fiber  Acrylic one skein of blue
              Count
              Color
              Mfr
              Source
Warp     Width in Reed  10"
              Ends  100
              Length  8'
Weft      Fiber  Homespun Acrylic - 
              Count - 6 oz skein = 185 yds (used 3/4 skein)
              Color
              Mfr  Lions Brand
              Source  Michaels
Beat                       50/50                     Weft Faced         Warp Faced
Size  9 1/2 by 70"

Notes  Also made one in black on the rigid heddle loom using the 8 epi reed and direct warping method.

No comments:

Post a Comment