Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Bags from Bags

I recently had about a yard of rug warp left on my 4 harness loom, without a project in mind.  I had seen several posts about using plastic bags as weft.  Plastic bags cut up into strips and used as the yarn in weaving, knitting or crocheting is called "plarn".  I liked the idea of re-using grocery bags, since they seem to multiply in my house.  Cutting the bags into 1 1/2" strips is a pretty quick and easy process and can be seen on this you tube video here.  I used Ingles Grocery bags which are tan in color with red and black printing, the red and black showing up occasionally as red or black streaks in the cloth. I alternated the plarn with a weft of the same cotton rug yarn used in the warp.  The bag size is approximately 7 1/2" X 7" with a 72 inch strap.  The straps were made from an 8 element Kumihimo braid.  Each element has 2 strands of 8/4 carpet warp in 2 or 3 colors matching the color of the warp.


No comments:

Post a Comment