Monday, December 9, 2013

More Twill Towels





This summer I made a run of towels on a 7 yard warp in a straight twill.  I loved the opportunity to try out 7 different tie-ups and treadling.  Using a white warp and different colors of weft and different treadling resulted in very different towels.  I blogged about those towels here in an earlier post.



Fancy Twill
Handweaving.net
Draft 13916
I decided that I wanted to try the same thing with a point twill.  The patterns included some that I found on pinterest, handweaving.net and A Weaver's Book of 8-Shaft Patterns. The warp is an 8/4 matt cotton available from Earth Guild.  It is a very soft, not highly twisted cotton, that results in a very lush fabric that I hope is absorbent for towels.  However, set at 20 epi, some of the floats were pretty long on the cloth.  A couple of the tie-ups had floats that were 5 pics long. Hopefully, the stickiness of the yarn will keep the warp from snagging.

One of my favorites in this set uses several different weft colors in random patterns and stripes.  It reminds me of a Fair Isle sweater.  The weft for this towel was frogged from thrift store sweaters.
                                             Fancy Twill
A Weaver's Book of 8-Shaft Patterns
Draft 323-2





Snowflake
Twill Thrills
Page 7








Snowflake Twill Thrills
Page 7
Loom  Baby Wolf
Weave Structure  Point Twill
Reed  12, 20 epi
Warp     Fiber  Matt Cotton
              Count  8/4
              Color  Natural
              Source  Earthguild
Warp     Width in Reed  20 "
              Ends  402
              Length  7 yds
Weft      5/2 and 8/2 cottons and some frogged cottons
Handweaving.net
Draft 61537
Date Finished  December 2013
Beat       50/50  
Size  17 1/2 x 24 1/2

1 comment: