Friday, June 1, 2012

Cheaper Kitchen Towels


My Mother and Gary's Mother would be proud.  I am keeping up both families' thrifty Scottish traditions, as well as following the environmental mantra of Reduce, Re-use, Recycle.   I just finished three kitchen towels on the rigid heddle loom in yellow, green and blue.  The yarn for these towels came from thrift store cotton sweaters that I have unraveled.  Each sweater costs a mere 50 cents and probably generates 8 oz of cotton yarn.  If I were to purchase the cotton, it would run $15 for 8 oz.   The yarn from these three sweaters could probably make 10 towels.  The only other kitchen towels that I have made were during my weaving week at John C Campbell Folk School.  If I add up the tuition, the travel and meals for the week, those towels probably cost about $300 each.   Next up will be towels in Duke blue with a little Carolina blue accent.

I had some help in "frogging" (highly technical term for unraveling) the sweaters from Gary, Peggy and even Emma.  The biggest issue with frogging is the mess that it leaves behind on me, the rugs, the couch.  The other benefit, other than cheap yarn, is that it also makes weaving a little more portable.  I can always carry around a sweater to unravel even though I can't carry a loom.


Date Finished      June 1, 2012
Loom                  Rigid Heddle
Weave Structure  Plain
Reed     12 dent
Warp     Fiber  Cotton
              Count
              Color   Yellow and Green
              Source    Thrift Store Sweaters
Warp     Width in Reed   18"
              Ends  216
              Length   2 1/2 yds
Weft      Fiber   Cotton
              Count
              Color  Yellow, Green and Blue
              Mfr
              Source   Thrift Store Sweaters
Beat                       50/50                     
Size  on loom 18 x 25, finished 15 1/2 x 22
Notes

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. These were woven on a rigid heddle with a 12 dent reed, in a plain weave. They looked pretty loose on the loom, but shrunk tight enough for every day use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat,
    These are the towels you were telling me about when you came to visit. So glad I got to see them. They are beautiful. I love to recycle and this is perfect!! Great job for weaving AND the environment.
    JoHanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. JoHanna
    Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the new "Baby". I already have most of a warp for a scarf on her. Great meeting you today and I look forward to seeing you in Red Lodge sometime soon.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete