Sunday, July 8, 2012

Inkle loom




I  recently joined the Western North Carolina Fibers/Handweavers Guild and they sponsored an Inkle Weaving workshop with Ann Dixon.  Ann was in the US on her way to Convergence, the biennial fiber workshop held in California this year.  Ann is the author of a wonderful weaving resource book, The Handweavers Pattern Directory.  I signed up for the workshop, but unfortunately it was full.  However, I was the first person on the waiting list, so I had high hopes of getting in the workshop.  The workshop was designed as an advanced class and since I had never woven on an inkle loom, I knew I had to get to work.  My first issue was that I did not have an Inkle loom.  Gary set to work on it and built a beautiful, functional loom in a day.  It works wonderfully, but unfortunately I didn't get into the class.  I did however, make 2 dog collars, one for Bo and one for Kevin's dog Toby, who has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  

Date Finished  June 2012
Loom  Inkle
Weave Structure  Plain
Warp     Fiber  Aunt Lydias Corchet Cotton
              Count   3
              Color  White, Turqoise and Chartreuse
              
Warp     Width  3/4"
              Ends  28
              Length  1 yd
Weft     Same
Beat      Warp Faced


The next projects planned for the Inkle include a hat band for Gary's cowboy hat and straps for a luggage rack.  The luggage rack will be a joint project, Gary will turn the wooden pieces for the luggage rack and I will weave the straps.

No comments:

Post a Comment