Thursday, April 10, 2014

Christmas Rosepath




Last year I wove an overshot table runner in red and white, that I had hoped to get finished by Christmas.  Well, I didn't get it completed till January, so I called it a Valentine's Day table runner.  I had similar plans this year to weave small figures using an 8 shaft rosepath threading, including Christmas trees, stars, hearts and gingerbread people.  I was not sure exactly what I would do with the cloth, but thought that it could be cut up and made into flat Christmas tree ornaments each about 2 or 3 inches square.  My other plan was to make Christmas cards with a cutout in the front cover peeking through to a woven tree or heart as shown on Amanda Cutler's blogpost here.  I ended up with Christmas trees, stars, and hearts.  I couldn't find a draft for a gingerbread man that would use only 10 treadles and 8 shafts.  I had to change the tie-up for each of these designs.  Tim's Treadle reducer program was helpful to reduce some of the drafts from 12 or 13 treadles to the 10 treadles on my loom.


Date Finished  December 2013
Loom  Baby Wolf
Weave Structure Rosepath
Reed  8, 24 epi
Warp     Fiber cotton
              Count  8/2
              Color  natural
              Mfr  Valley Yanr
              Source  Webs
Warp     Width in Reed  6.6"
              Ends  160 plus 2 floating selvedges
              Length  3 yds
Weft      Fiber  cotton
              Count  8/2 cotton
Pattern Weft      Fiber  cotton
              Frogged cotton in red, green
              5/2 perle cotton in blue
Beat       50/50                     
Size


Notes  The 5/2 was not thick enough to make a good pattern.  3/2 would be a better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment