Friday, October 16, 2015

Baby Blankets



I have reached the age where many of my friends are having grandkids, and I have been having fun making baby blankets for the little ones.  The last couple that I made were delivered after the babies were born, so I decided I needed to have an "inventory" of blankets on hand.  


In looking for baby blanket patterns and designs, I ran across a publication from the Indiana Weaving Guild that published all of the drafts from a guild show of blankets in 2009.  click here.  One of these drafts was for a Houndstooth Huck woven in three colors of 5/2 cotton by Phillip Ewart.  I liked the draft and the changes in patterns made by the 3 colors.  This was the first project woven on my new to me Norwood 8 harness loom.  Baby blankets need a wider width than my Baby Wolf can handle and this was the first time I could weave an 8 shaft pattern over 25 inches.  The loom did well, but the operator had a few issues with beaming, since the Norwood warp beam runs the reverse of my other looms. The blankets were slow to weave since they required three shuttles holding the three colors of weft.
The only other issue is that the first baby born was a girl and this blanket was woven in blue and white.  Oh well, I don't think Ella's parents will be raising a girly girl and won't mind a little change up in the nursery.  




Structure   Houndstooth Huck
Source   Indiana Weaving Guild Baby Blankets
Date Finished August 2015
Loom Norwood
Reed 8, 16 epi
Warp     Fiber cotton
              Count 5/2
              Color  Poplin 36, Natural 79, Nassau 23
              Mfr Valley
              Source Webs
Warp     Width in Reed
              Ends 594
              Length 7 yds
Weft     Same as warp
Beat                       50/50                     

Size 37 X 55 after finishing and hemming
Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment