Saturday, December 26, 2015

Small bags



I put a short warp on the Baby Wolf in Montana for weaving small bags.  I planned to use a warp dominant structure, since the weft might be plarn (plastic yarn - cut up plastic grocery bags). Another requirement was to utilize cotton yarn that I had in my stash, so either 8/2 or 5/2 cotton.  Searching through the warp rep projects in old Handwoven magazines, I found this 6 shaft plain weave, using thick and thin weft to create different warp stripe or block patterns.  I wove enough for 6 small bags, 5 which had flaps of handwoven fabric and one used a button closure.  All had straps made from the same 5/2 cotton doubled in an 8 strand kumihimo pattern.  I wove several using plastic bags for the thick weft and several with 3/2 cotton doubled as the thick weft.  All used a 20/2 cotton for the thin weft.  I liked the look and feel of the bags with the 3/2 cotton weft better than the plarn bags.



Structure   Almost Rep Weave
Source       Handwoven Sept 2005
Date Finished Sept 2015
Loom     Baby Wolf
Reed      12, 24 epi
Warp     Fiber   5/2 cotton
              Count
              Color  red, orange, yellow, blue
Warp     Width in Reed  8.5
              Ends  220
              Length  4 yds
Weft      3 with  plarn (plastic grocery bag yarn) and 20/2 cotton                 orange
              3 with 3/2 cotton doubled, navy blue and 20/2 cotton      
Beat       Warp Faced


No comments:

Post a Comment